LSL Major 1 Sunday Team - Wicklow Rovers

web counter
web counter

Go to content

Main menu

LSL Major 1 Sunday Team

This Season's Teams > Senior Teams

Date: 25/8/17
Comp: LSL Major 1 Sunday
Venue: Whitegates
Kick Off: 7.30pm

Leinster Senior Major 1 Sunday
Wicklow Rovers 3 Yellowstone Celtic FC 2

Rovers first game of the season took place at Whitegates tonight when the lads entertained Yellowstone Celtic FC. The lads got off to the worst possible start when they fell behind after four minutes. They shook off the disappointment of falling behind to level the game on thirteen minutes. Rikki Quinn slipped Maurice Dunne in on goal and he duly finished to the net. Twenty one minutes were gone when Maurice Dunne and Mark O'Sullivan combined to put in Sean Tobin who slotted past the advancing keeper to go 2-1 up. The away side went close on thirty seven minutes with an effort just wide. The lads saw out the half to go in at the break 2-1 in front. The first few minutes of the second period were quiet enough with neither side carving out a chance of note. On fifty nine minutes a lovely through ball from Mark Johnson set Gareth Murphy away down the right, he swung the ball over to the back post where the onrushing Rikki Quinn was denied by the keeper. In the sixty third minute the lads created two good chances in the space of a minute. First a move involving Maurice Dunne, Gareth Murphy and Rikki Quinn ended with Quinn firing just wide. Then Alan Delaney pounced on a Gareth Murphy cross but his effort shaved the outside of the upright. Rovers increased their lead on sixty seven minutes and it was richly deserved. Davy Rowan and Alan Delaney combined to set Mikey Delaney away on the left, Delaney cut in and fired a sweet shot into the right hand corner of the net to make it 3-1. On sixty nine minutes Maurice Dunne was presented with a great chance to put the game beyond the away side but his effort was straight at the keeper. With six minutes left on the clock Yellowstone pulled one back with a thunderbolt from twenty yards to set the game up for a nail bitting finish. The away side pressed seeking the equaliser but the lads held out firm to gain a well deserved three points on the balance of play. On the night it was hard to pick out a man of the match as it was a good all round team performance. When push comes to shove you would have to toss a coin between Mark Johnson and Rikki Quinn who both got through some work and challenges in the middle of the park. Overall it was a good team performance and a good start to the season.
TEAM : Shane Doyle, David Rowan, Michael Delaney, Leonard Carton, Mark Delaney, Mark O'Sullivan, Mark Johnson, Rikki Quinn, Maurice Dunne, Sean Tobin, Alan Delaney. SUBS: (Gareth Murphy for Sean Tobin 58 mins), (Luke Byrne for Alan Delaney 68 mins), (Ian Brannigan for Mikey Delaney 75 mins), (James Foley for Mark Johnson 81 mins), Brian Byrne, Daryl Sullivan.

Date: 1/9/17
Comp: League
Venue: Whitegates
Kick Off: 7.30pm

Leinster Senior Legue Major 1 Sunday
Wicklow Rovers 1 Larkview Boys 2

The seniors went into nights game looking to get back to winning ways but unfortunately it wasn't to be. After ten minutes Rovers first effort saw Mark Johnson unleash a powerful effort but a block from a defender took the sting out of it. On fifteen minutes the away side fired narrowly wide. In the nineteenth minute the away side went in front with a neat finish. Rovers probed looking for an equaliser and on thirty six minutes they came very close, Ian Brannigan started a flowing move involving several Rovers players, Ian Brannigan at the end of the move delicately played the ball into Maurice Dunne's path who skimmed the crossbar with his shot. Two minutes later the Rovers keeper was called on to make an excellent save. Right on the stroke of half time Rovers had a gilt edged chance to draw level but Alan Delaney's effort sailed over. The second half saw the lads come out all guns blazing, taking the game to the away side. Two minutes into the half Gareth Murphy was denied by a last ditch challenge, a minute later Rikki Quinn set Gareth Murphy in again but this time his shot sneaked past the far post from an acute angle. At this stage it was all Rovers and they were creating several chances. From one of those chances Rovers deservingly drew level. With sixty one minutes on the clock a Rovers corner was pulled back to Davy Rowan, he in turn swung a delicious cross to the back post where Mark O'Sullivan powered home a header to square the match at 1-1. The home side were on top and creating chances but disaster struck on seventy four minutes when the away side broke upfield and went in front totally against the run of play. Rovers pushed forward in search of an equaliser but found the away side a tough nut to crack. Peter Finnegan did go close with an effort on seventy eight minutes but unluckily for the lads it just went the wrong side of the upright. In the dying seconds of the game Ian Brannigan had an effort from the edge of the area blocked and cleared. The lads put in a good shift tonight especially in the second half against a very good side. The lads definitely deserved at the very least a share of the spoils. On the night Ian Brannigan, Rikki Quinn, Mark Delaney and Peter Finnegan stood out in a good all round team performance.
Shane Doyle, Mark O'Sullivan, Ian Brannigan, Leonard Carton, Mark Delaney, Peter Finnegan, Mark Johnson, Rikki Quinn, Maurice Dunne, Gareth Murphy, Alan Delaney. SUBS : David Rowan for (Mark Johnson 37 mins), Luke Byrne for (Alan Delaney 60 mins), Jim Foley for (Mark O'Sullivan 85 mins), Daryl Sullivan, Greg Dunne.

Date: 15/9/17
Comp: League
Venue: Whitegates
Kick Off: 7.45pm

Leinster Senior League Major 1 Sunday
Wicklow Rovers 0 Blessington FC 3

The senior men went into action tonight at Whitegates without the services of three or four regulars. After a quiet opening the first chance of note came to the away side after seven minutes when they fired in a long distance free that was saved comfortably by the Rovers keeper. Rovers first opportunity came after twenty six minutes when a Maurice Dunne free kick was turned away. Ten minutes later Ian Brannigan powered an effort from thirty yards out just over the bar. It was a half of little in the way of clear cut chances with the half petering out scoreless. Three minutes into the second period disaster struck for Rovers when the away side went in front. In the fifty third minute Rovers went close to squaring the game up when Peter Finnegan fired narrowly wide. The home sides task was made even more difficult when they were reduced to ten men on fifty nine minutes. Things got worse for the lads in the sixty fourth minute when a mistake let the away side in for number two to give the lads a mountain to climb. With fourteen minutes left a Peter Finnegan effort was saved well by the away keeper. The ten men to their credit were pushing forward looking to reduce the deficit, Mikey Delaney was just off target with thirteen minutes left. An excellent corner from Ian Brannigan evaded every player inside the six yard box when the slightest of touches would have meant a certain goal. In injury time the away side broke upfield and added a third. In truth Rovers huffed and puffed but never really got going in this game, the team never reached the standards they have set themselves. On the night Leonard Carton and Ian Brannigan impressed for Rovers.
TEAM: Shane Doyle, Jim Foley, Ian Brannigan, Leonard Carton, Mark Delaney, Peter Finnegan, Mark Johnson, Mikey Delaney, Alan Delaney, Maurice Dunne, Gareth Murphy. SUBS: (Sean Tobin for Mark Delaney 58 mins); (Bryan Doyle for Alan Delaney 63 mins); (Daryl Sullivan for Jim Foley 68 mins); Greg Dunne.

Date: 24/9/17
Comp: Leinster Junior Cup
Venuw: Whitegates
Kick Off: 1.30pm

Leinster Junior Cup First Round
Wicklow Rovers 7 Callan United 0

The senior men were in action in the first round of the Leinster Junior cup today when they entertained Callan United from Kilkenny at Whitegates. The lads started the game on the front foot creating several clear cut openings. Gareth Murphy was the first to try his luck but he could only watch on as his eleventh minute effort just went the wrong side of the upright. A minute later Peter Finnegan put Murphy through on goal but the keeper did well to block. On twenty minutes Sean Tobin beat his marker wide on the right and then fed the ball back to Maurice Dunne who let fly only to see his shot rebound away to safety off the post. Then Peter Finnegan rattled the top of the crossbar with an effort from the edge of the penalty area. In the twenty sixth minute Sean Tobin and Maurice Dunne combined to set up Mark Johnson but his shot from distance was just wide of the target. On one of their odd flurries upfield Callan went close to going in front against the run of play when after thirty one minutes they shaved the outside of the upright with a fierce shot from wide on the right. Rovers went down field from the kick out, Sean Tobin picked out Peter Finnegan whose shot was parried away by the Callan keeper. With thirty seven minutes on the clock Mark Johnson's beautiful angled pass found Bryan Doyle out on the left, Doyle cut in and unleashed an effort which sailed just over. Rovers were continuing on the front foot putting the visitors under severe pressure and it was only a matter of time before the deadlock was broken and true enough it came on thirty eight minutes. Peter Finnegan gave a neat pass to Maurice Dunne who in turn picked out Gareth Murphy with a pass to split open the Callan defence, Murphy rounded the advancing keeper to slot home despite the attention of the covering defender. Two minutes before the interval Rovers made it 2-0 when Mark O'Sullivan finished off a great Rovers move to put the lads in a commanding position going in at the break. The lads came out in the second period in the same vein pushing their opponents back, Bryan Doyle and Maurice Dunne combined after fifty minutes to set up Gareth Murphy but his delicate flick was pushed away by the keeper. Two minutes later the game was put to bed when Maurice Dunne curled a shot into the far right corner of the net from the edge of the area to make it 3-0. On the hour mark it was 4-0, this time it was Alan Delaney when he powerfully rifled the ball to the roof of the net. On seventy minutes Byran Doyle cut in from the left and let fly but his effort was parried away by the keeper but it was Mark Johnson who got the chance to show off his chicken dance celebration when he slotted home the breaking ball to make it 5-0. The away sides only chance of note in the second half saw Shane Doyle in the Rovers goal produce an excellent save. With fifteen minutes remaining Luke Byrne made it six when he raced through, rounded the keeper and fired home. There was still time for another and that came from Peter Finnegan who ran at the away defence ghosting past two players and calmly slotting pass the advancing keeper to make it 7-0. The Rovers management would have to be pleased with this performance and will be hoping the lads can bring this form into their league campaign. The defence of keeper Shane Doyle, defenders Mark O'Sullivan, Mikey Delaney, Ian Brannigan and Leonard Carton were solid through out and kept a clean sheet. Further upfield our midfield controlled the game and were ably supported by our forward players. The other positive that would please the management was there was seven different goalscorers. An excellent all round team performance from the lads with everyone playing their part in a game where the lads could have reached double figures.

Back to content | Back to main menu